My Si did her usual races, she swam breaststroke in the medley relay and swam individual breaststroke and freestyle in the freestyle relay. But today the coaches had her try something new. She swam the IM (Individual Medley). The IM is 4 laps, one lap of each stroke.
She was nervous...
Swimmers up, take your mark...
Butterfly
Backstroke
Breaststroke
Freestyle

Breaststroke
Freestyle
Problem...(don't make it known to her that I put this on the blog) When she did her turn from breaststroke to freestyle she did not do a two hand touch. I saw it and I looked to the stroke and turn judges and I could tell they saw it and I said right out loud to Jake and Janelle,"oh no, she is DQ'd." Her coach said to her as she was getting out of the water, "great race, just remember two hand touch after breaststroke." She didn't seem upset, I went to her and told her what a great job she did. She said, "mommy I forgot my two hand touch." I said, "I know it's ok." She then asked me, "was I disqualified because I didn't touch with two hands?" I looked at her and smiled, brought tears to my eyes that she could not see because I was wearing my sunglasses and shook my head yes. Instantly there were tears in her eyes. My poor baby. I told her to come and sit with me and I held her on my lap and told her how proud I am and gave her lots of kisses. I told her that it was just a mistake and we learn from our mistakes. That was a hard race. She was so tired. SHE DID IT! I am so so proud of her! There were 4 racers and she came in 3rd. She dropped 13 sec. from her time too. Nice racing Si! Love you baby!
7 comments:
What a sweet girl. Isn't it hard to see them dissapointed.
It is hard to see them sad. I am so impressed with her swimming ability.
She is such a great swimmer, way ahead of us at her age!
What a girl! Sounds like she has a great coach and a great mommy taking care of her. Chin up Sierra! Mommy's right--we all make mistakes and it's no big deal! You did great!
ok.. I don't know why.. but that totally made me cry.. she's such a wonderful girl and you're such a great mom and teacher...
Made me tear up also! But wow Sierra is awesome and like you said that will only help her to be stronger and probably never miss a hand again.
Ugh :( It's so TOUGH to face disappointments like this when you see them trying so hard! But we do learn from our mistakes, and both you and her coach handled it so well... bless her heart, she handled it well too. And 13 seconds off her time!?!? AMAZING!!!
Post a Comment