Friday, May 22, 2009

A new angel arrived in heaven today...

My Nana, Lucille Bob Whitmore, passed away this morning. She was 88 years old. Jake shared a birthday with her. My dad called me 2 days ago and informed me that she was not doing well and would not be around us much longer. We went to see her that same day and although she was not very responsive I'm glad we did, we were able to give her a kiss and say goodbye. My nana was one of the strongest people I know. She was always so healthy and could do anything. When my Papa was alive they were always traveling, she traveled everywhere and went on several cruises. She and my Papa were great Square Dancers. I remember when I was little and they still lived in their house in Placerita Canyon I would go upstairs and there was a room full of Nana's puffy square dancing skirts. She continued to dance after my Papa passed away until she couldn't any longer. My Papa was not a member of the church however my Nana was a faithful member and after she joined the church she took her children to church with her by herself every week. She remained faithful the remainder of her life until she could not physically attend anymore. About a month ago, Jake and I visited her on a Sunday in between sessions when we had watched General Conference and we were telling her about it and she said "I wish I could watch it". We tried to find the channel on her tiny TV but her channels didn't go up that high. :) Her desire to go to church was with her till the end. She always served faithfully in her callings. She was great at doing her Family History and in 1999 she gave each of her children and grandchildren a notebook full of family history. She was a great cook and I remember she made fantastic apple pies, I loved her apple pies. She was a very talented knitter and her specialty was slippers and pot holders. I remember when I was little at night my Papa would sit in his big arm chair and watch TV and she would sit next to him on the couch and knitt. She was a very loving Nana. She loved being around family. She loved hugs and kisses, she had a great smile. I am going to miss her. Love you Nana! Lucille Bob McGoun April 10,1937 In this picture she is 16 years old.
Great Nana with Sierra March 2001

Great Nana, once again with Sierra, December 2008



2 comments:

cathyg said...

Vanessa, I am sorry about your Nana! I remember how active and fun she was too! She was a great lady. You wrote a nice tribute for her! I hope I can be a great grandma like her one day!

KickButtMommy said...

I am sorry about your grandma. I know she will be happy where she is!