Thursday, May 28, 2009

Open House

Tonight was Sierra's Open House. She is in 2nd grade and is in a 1st/2nd split. She has had a hard year this year and I am so grateful that it is almost over. Currently she is doing fantastic and looks forward to going to school. Months ago though she would cry morning and night with the anticipation of going to school. She would tell me over and over that she missed me and didn't like to be away from me and wanted to be homeschooled. I was nervous that something was happening at school. I kept open communication with her teacher, we would email back and forth. Family members would go have lunch with her everyday which helped. She likes her teacher however she is not the most nurturing and lovey dovey, also being in a split class demands alot of the child to work independently. It took her a long time to adjust to 2nd grade but she has grown so much and tells me I can't wait to go to school tomorrow.

Sierra with her friend, Rachel



"Look at this bird I made..."


This is her seat, she sits in the very front.

In 2nd grade it is optional to enter in the Science Fair but Sierra wanted to do a science project. So we did. What Happens To A Banana When You Put on Yeast? She tested two slices of banana, she put yeast on one and observed and took pictures for 3 days. (She took the pictures.) She thought that the banana with yeast on it would puff up. The banana with the yeast on it turned brown faster than the the banana by itself. We found out that the yeast is in the fungi group and feeds off of other organisms which is why the banana was decomposing faster. Great Job, Sierra!

1 comment:

Briana said...

I love sierra's hair in these pics!