On Sunday, February 1, 2009, Sister Julie Beck, our General Relief Society President, came to our Stake Center and spoke to all the women of 6 stakes. It was quite a sight! The opening hymn was "As Sisters in Zion" and I was choked up throughout the song and I had chills and goosebumps, it was amazing to hear so many women sing together and the words of the hymn are also wonderful. "As Sister in Zion we'll all work together..." I was priviledged to have a seat saved for me by my mom and we sat in the chapel. I seriously felt like we were in the presence of a celebrity, a superstar. :)
Brother Tenney of the Area 70 also spoke to us and I thouroughly enjoyed his words too.
Sister Beck spoke for a little while and then opened it up for questions. Very interesting! She answered each question beautifully! She answered with love and care and with facts and truth.
I came home that night and wrote a few things down that I knew I never wanted to forget. I wished I had brought with me some paper and a pen.
Some notes from the evening I want to record:
Proverbs
Moses chapter 5
D&C
Adam and Eve: When Eve's children made wrong choices she was grateful because then she knew good from evil and free agency.
"It's not who's right but what's right"
"When your children are teenagers you yourself be worthy to attend the temple and go often. Take them to the temple once a month or once a week to do baptisms. Keep them close to the temple not just as a distant goal."
Pray for those who need help and you are unable to help them. The Lord will help them, he always does.
Pray for angels to attend your husband.
We are all here for the experience. We signed up for it!
President Hinckley said "Do the best that you can!"
Sister Beck looked around the room and asked different groups of women to stand. "Please stand if you are married and have been unable to have children. I know what you dream about...You want to be woken up at night. Please stand if you have pre-teen children at home. I know what you dream about...5 minutes to yourself!" Each of her statements and what each group dreams about was powerful.
Noone can take your place as a Mother. Noone can take over your job! Economically, when times were tough for her family she never left the home to go to work, she taught piano lessons.
I learned so much and I am so grateful to her for coming and speaking to us.
When it was over my mom grabbed us and said "Come on, I want to introduce you". She had dinner with Sister Beck and her husband and a meeting with her so she said "Now we're best friends":) I got to meet her and shake her hand, WOW! She actually touched my sis-in-law Jacque's face, LUCKY! Sister Beck has a wonderful spirit about her and it was a great experience to be in her presence.
Vegan Crepes
3 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment